Home

Home
"There are places I remember all my life." The Beatles

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Todays (well yesterdays!) class

I found todays class actually very interesting, but i also love history so that could be why. The part i found the most interesting was about surrealism, mostly because i've studied those artists before, but never their roots. I visited the Dali museum in Spain, Teatre-Museu ,which is actually a giant piece of surrealist art in itself...
Incorporating some of Dali's most famous images, such as the egg. In this museum i was particularly struck by the size of some of the work. Dali is actually buried in the crypt of the museum, because it was built in his home town! I was most struck by the famous piece of the furniture. that when looked at at the right angle creates a face meant to look like Mae West..
There was many great rooms, and great exhibits here, especially one that was set in an outside courtyard. Also many people, as i was also, were struck by the giant ceiling painting present in the museum. The museum contains rooms and painted walls designed by Dali especially for this Museum. I found it brought a whole new level and meaning to surrealism to have it in the whole building all around you.
Next challenge is to try and read this Manifesto on surrealism...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment